PDFs for the people!

Got a nifty new feature for you tonight, folks. If you’re following @protagonize on Twitter, you might have seen my tweet about it last night. PDF support is now live for all stories!

Yes, this means you can now save your stories as PDFs and read them on the bus, off in the country, or on the throne (a personal choice, obviously.)

Trying to figure out how it works? Well, you’ll see a new button at the bottom of every story, like so:

PDF support on Protagonize.com

Creating a PDF of your story is as simple as clicking the red button above. Stories in PDF form are replete with a Table of Contents, page numbers, bookmarks for every chapter, and all sorts of other goodies…

PDF generation on Protagonize.com

On that note, make sure to check out the special features of addventure story PDFs — a proper Choose Your Own Adventure-style format, including page jumps for each branch.

Keep in mind that PDF generation is relatively taxing on the server, so please don’t abuse it (i.e. PDFing a 500-page story multiple times over could be problematic.)

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Features, General, Site updates, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to PDFs for the people!

1. Gwen (g2) says:

I’m liking the PDFs, Nick! The only “issue” I have is that (for me, anyway), italics aren’t showing up as italics. Maybe it’s just my fussy computer being its tempermental self, but I thought I’d let you know.

Still, yay for PDFs for stories! =D

Hey Gwen,

That’s a problem with styles being lost in translation between the original HTML and the PDF… I’m going to have to figure out how exactly to get that working, so it might take a little while before you see it on the site…

3. Tricia says:

Wow! That is so cool, especially the page jumps on the Addventures :)

4. Rac7hel says:

Sweet!

Are the authors’ names supposed to be in boxes?

5. Rac7hel says:

Also there’s some wonky line-breaking in seemingly random places… for example, in “Death in Singsong”, chapters Burial and Mother. Both of those are Ganga’s, though, so maybe it’s his fault. ;)

@Rac7hel What do you mean, boxes? There are hyperlinks on all of the author names to their respective author profiles on Protagonize, so maybe your version of Acrobat is showing boxes around those. :)

As for the weird line breaks, it’s replacing any linebreaks it finds in the paragraphs with PDF linefeeds… I can’t do too much when it comes to the translation of the actual formatting. Just getting bold/italic/underline to carry over is going to be a complex process, unfortunately.

7. Rac7hel says:

Yay, it looks much prettier on my computer. The ugly boxes were the stupid school computer’s fault. The mid-sentence line breaks are still there, but they don’t really look bad, at least in poetry :-S

@Rac7hel Cool, glad the boxes weren’t my fault. :)

Regarding Ganga’s chapters… I’m thinking he pasted stuff in from Word, ‘cuz there’s some weird formatting in his posts when I actually look at what’s in the database. Probably not a big deal. :)

9. HIROHITO99 says:

I LOVE THIS FEATURE!

As a person who spends most of his time while at the computer writing and most of his time away from it reading this will be very handy in staying abreast of what my favorite protagonize authors are doing.

Thanks Nick! You really keep making this site better and better.

10. Alli says: