Cutting back

As foreboding as that title sounds, I’m posting some good news today. Considering the nosedive many companies are taking in the tech (and global) marketplace due to the current economic climate, you’d probably think my “cutting back” was something negative. As it turns out, it’s entirely the opposite.

Many of you are aware of the fact that Protagonize is actually a one-man show, operated by yours truly. I’ve been running the site (and by running, I mean everything: designing, building features, maintaining, and administering/moderating) solo for the last year and change.

What you may not be aware of is that running Protagonize isn’t my day job. I actually work a full-time job as a User Experience Developer for the Habañero Consulting Group in Vancouver. I also write (albeit intermittently right now, though I’m going to start back up again soon) for Habañero’s User Experience blog.

That means that any time I spend on Protagonize (or on my other project, reroller) is done on my own time, after hours or on weekends. That should help explain why I can be a little unpredictable when replying to comments on my profile, reports, suggestions, feedback, or emails. And I get a lot of all of those. :)

Things are about to change a little, for the better. As of February 2nd, I’ll be switching over to a 4-day week at my day job (voluntarily!), which will give me a full business day a week in addition to the time I already spend on my side projects. I would love to be able to turn my work at Taunt Media into my full-time business, down the road, but I think that’s still a couple of years off. For the time being, I’m pretty happy to be able to dedicate an extra 4-5 business days a month to working on both Protagonize and reroller.

I’m pretty excited about this shift in my work life, so I thought I’d pass on my good news. Hopefully you guys will be able to reap the benefits my additional time to work on the site in the near future.

Cheers, and keep on writing! I’m really looking forward to getting started. :)

This entry was posted in General, Miscellaneous and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Cutting back

1. Trin says:

WHOOOO Nick! And :o had no idea you were behind reroller it ROX SOCKS!!!!

2. Ana Cristina says:

Congrats on the extra time! I got scared when I read the title, I do admit. Ever since Fic …
    See, I can’t even finish the word, I’m so sad. Ever since That Site went down, I’ve been scared the same thing will happen here. I know it’s probably baseless worries on my part, but still. Glad to see it was nothing of the sort! :-D

3. Tricia says:

That’s great news, Nick. I’ve always been amazed at how well you’ve been able to bring in so many wonderful new and shiny developments (and keep on top of things generally) here while doing your “proper” job at the same time.

I think we’re spoilt on Protagonize with such a great site and its brilliant creator giving us so much to play with. :)

Thanks guys, and Trin, glad you’re enjoying reroller — it’s way more work to write about a single topic every day or two than I expected, but I think it’ll work out once I get the rest of the site up. :)

I’m actually discussing how to reorganize the “my stories” area next week with a couple of friends of mine who are information architects. Hopefully that will help me gain some insight into how to go about turning that area into more of a portfolio than a big list of search results (like it is right now.)

5. thebetweenspace says:

After experiencing the death of another site, I’m really excited to hear that you’re devoted to the operations here. I love what you’ve created here. Writing, collaborating and receiving feedback is an incredible thing! Thank you for all the work you put into this and your other ventures!

6. CheshireGrin says:

This is great news for us, and happy to hear you feel it is also great news, Nick! It truly is pretty amazing how much you have managed to do just on your off time on a project that is for fun. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I’m pondering setting up a little shrine for offerings in thanks for the “my stories” fixes. That list scares me. So if you were a god, what would you want sacrificed to you? Hmm? ;)

7. trevor says:

Hey, man, when you make it big, I make some great coffee. And I’m *really* good at picking up dry cleaning.

Sorry Trev, I have a fancy espresso machine that I blew the better part of a paycheque on, which makes you redundant. I don’t doubt your delivery skills, though. For that one or two times a year that I require drycleaning, I’ll most definitely call you. :)

On a more serious note, I had a good sit down with a couple of friends from work that gave me some excellent feedback on cleaning up the author profile / my stories areas. Some spiffy changes should be afoot there in the next few weeks.

9. Parkovic says:

You rock, Nick.

Keep on keepin’ on!

10. trevor says:

Well, Nick, I have to draw the line on any further stereotypical secretary work.

11. Shaheema says:

Wow… For a one-man show, you’ve done a great job here! You rock. :)

12. Bob Grant says:

I know the feeling and congratulate you on what you have started and continue to improve. Not as easy as it might seem – for certain!