It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything here â€” I’ve been remiss in not keeping the Protagonize blog updated, though I have been blogging elsewhere. Apologies all around! In any case, it looks as though the site has clearly survived my absence and limited activity for the last little while. Let’s hope it can survive the changes I have planned for you all in the next few weeks. :)
You probably noticed from my resurgence (ahem) on the site that I’m back from my travels, though I’m still getting caught up on various fronts. (At least the jetlag’s over with.) I’ve blogged about my various trips in a couple of spots recently; in case you’re interested, you can check out my Web 2.0 NYC recap post over at my day job’s blog, and my Nokia Open Lab 2008 review over on my personal blog. Feel free to ignore both links, though… at your own peril!
Before I left for Helsinki, I enabled a couple of new features on the site: the recent activity feed, which I hope you’ve all noticed andÂ have startedÂ using, as I find it invaluable; and the activity feeds on your individual profiles. I’m not quite done with those features yet â€” I’ll be adding an RSS feed to both, down the line, as well as to your personal notifications. I’ll also be adding a way to control privacy settings on your personal feed, so that if you don’t want specific activities displayed publicly on your profile, you can turn their display off. I had meant to put this in at the same time as the profile feeds themselves, but I ran out of time and thought that having the information displayed without being able to control it was still better than not showing it at all in the meantime. I’ll be adding that privacy control feature pretty soon.
A few other treats coming your way in the near future:
- A way to control story settings after the fact (i.e. changing a story from linear to an addventure and back again, as long as no one’s branched it yet; updating the mature flag; editing categories and tags; switching from a collaborative storyÂ to a single-author story; etc.)
- The ability to delete a story after you’ve published it, assuming no one’s branched it.
- A way to add private comments on a story that are only visible to other authors who’ve contributed to that story. (Thanks to darkliquid for his suggestion!)
- A way to invite your friends to Protagonize (yeah, you’re probably asking yourself why I didn’t add this earlier… so am I!)
- A new author ranking mechanic called author notoriety, separate from overall rankings and ratings!
While I’m discussing new features, groups are still on the horizon. Yes, I know everyone’s been waiting for them for a long time, and no, I’m not quite done with them yet. They are, however, still in progress, and they should be ready sooner rather than later. I can’t make any promises on the timing, but suffice it to say that it’s the next big feature on my plate and I need to get it done in order to progress with some other stuff that I’m working on.
One last note is that I obviously haven’t been featuring our Editor’s Picks on the blog recently, mostly due to the fact that more of you notice the features on the site than on the blog, so it’s a bit of a waste of time right now. I’m trying to figure out better a way to do this, and it may come in the form of a weekly or monthly newsletter. Suggestions are welcome.
Speaking of suggestions, if there’s anything you think isn’t working quite right or could be working better on the site, don’t be afraid to speak up. You can comment here if you want to discuss it, or create a new feature request for me over in the help center.